15 minute contact time for iodine based sanitizers

... razne, manje tehničke diskusije

Moderatori/ce: Poljo,sharkyboy

Odgovori
Matt
Kontakt:

15 minute contact time for iodine based sanitizers

Post Postao/la Matt » čet vel 12, 2015 9:18 am

This scan is from An Analysis of Brewing Techniques by George Fix.

This is why I recommend a 15 minute contact time with iodine based sanitizers. I know tons of guys who simply squirt sanitizer into their bottles and that's it. And most of them don't have infections. So I am not saying you WILL get an infection if you don't use 15 minutes. But this is why I personally use a 15 minute contact time.
Nemaš dopuštenje za pregledavanje privit(a)ka dodan(og)ih postu.
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

http://www.hrvatskohomebrewprvenstvo.beer

Matt
Kontakt:

Post Postao/la Matt » čet vel 12, 2015 9:22 am

For a no rinse solution (12.5ppm of iodine) with 10% betadine, that would be 1.25 ml of betadine per 1 liter of water.
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

Matt
Kontakt:

Post Postao/la Matt » čet vel 12, 2015 9:25 am

To avoid chlorophenols (plastic or medicine flavor in beer), many of us recommend that you do NOT use any chlorine or bleach based sanitizer, no cekina, no izosan. Betadine is recommended instead at no rinse concentrations.
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

Zvone

Post Postao/la Zvone » čet vel 12, 2015 10:00 am

I've never tried betadine... I have used izosan for my first 7-8 brews or so, but I was not satisfied with it. Besides the need to rinse, chlorine doesn't react so good with stainless steel, and leaves staines on plastic hoses. I've switched to Star San on my latest brew, and I'm quite happy now :) StarSan can be bought at Brewuk or CopperKettle - they're both from EU, so you won't get hit with customs.

Matt
Kontakt:

Post Postao/la Matt » čet vel 12, 2015 10:33 am

Zvone je napisao/la:I've never tried betadine... I have used izosan for my first 7-8 brews or so, but I was not satisfied with it. Besides the need to rinse, chlorine doesn't react so good with stainless steel, and leaves staines on plastic hoses. I've switched to Star San on my latest brew, and I'm quite happy now :) StarSan can be bought at Brewuk or CopperKettle - they're both from EU, so you won't get hit with customs.
StarSan is good, but then you have to pay shipping for liquids, which are heavy. With betadine, I can simply go to the local ljekarna and buy it. It stains hoses and plastic, but why would that matter?
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

Matt
Kontakt:

Post Postao/la Matt » čet vel 12, 2015 12:20 pm

But don't get me wrong. From everything I hear, StarSan is fantastic.

I just would NOT recommend using bleach based sanitizers at all.
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

Zvone

Post Postao/la Zvone » čet vel 12, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm don't like using hoses with stains because I'm afraid they'll dissolve in contact with wort and release something into my beer. Fear is probably groundless, but anyway.

I was a bit sceptical about StarSan because of costs, but when I realized for how long a bottle lasts (less than 10ml per brew), I ordered it immediately :)

Artanis

Post Postao/la Artanis » sub vel 14, 2015 4:57 pm

What´s wrong Matt? You have one batch infected?

Usually people don´t change anything if it works.

Matt
Kontakt:

Post Postao/la Matt » ned vel 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Artanis je napisao/la:What´s wrong Matt? You have one batch infected?

Usually people don´t change anything if it works.
Nope. No infections. I don't get infections. I clean like a motherfucker. The only sour beers I have are ones that I made sour on purpose. :twisted:

I wasn't posting about changing what I'm doing. I was posting because people erroneously believed that a 2 minute or less contact time with iodine based sanitizers is enough and it isn't. Hoping to help others avoid any potential problems with betadine or iodophor.

I found a guy in Slovenia who has StarSan, though, and shipping is very cheap. I'll report back once it arrives if everything goes okay with the order. The 30 second contact time is appealing for bottling. For sanitizing the fermenter, it doesn't much matter, but for bottling that could be a help. I never ordered it before because I always saw shipping costing like 100 kuna or more and thought that that is a waste of money. But with a 30 second contact time it means you don't have to fill the fermenter or the bottle, so you can use a very small amount. A friend of mine who brews regularly said a bottle lasts him 18 months. So, if I can get it for less than 20 euros total and it lasts 18 months, then that's okay. A 30 second contact time is certainly better than 15 minutes.
HOMEBREWING OD 1997
PIVSKI SUDAC OD 1999

Zvone

Post Postao/la Zvone » ned vel 15, 2015 7:16 pm

I always keep StarSan handy in a spray bottle (1,5 ml per 1 liter), so I can sanitize in a hurry - just spray it on and leave it for half a minute. Also, i used to fill whole glass carboy with water+izosan to sanitize it, and it took a while to fill and empty it, plus there was always a risk of breakage... Now I just swirl a few liters of water+starsan around.

More on the subject at hand - StarSan producer also lists minimum contact time as 1-2 minutes, but somewhere I read that 30sec contact time in enough to kill 99.9% of all microorganisms. As I recall - they have to list a longer contact time because of some crap regulations...

TinMan

Post Postao/la TinMan » čet vel 26, 2015 9:47 am

Matt je napisao/la: I found a guy in Slovenia who has StarSan, though, and shipping is very cheap.
Hi Matt,
please can You give us contact for this guy in SLO?
By,
TinMan
U vinu je istina, u pivu hrabrost, a u vodi su bakterije.

Odgovori